Sunday 24 January 2010

The trials of DIY?

Sometimes relationships are more difficult than we'd like to admit. Everyday remains "perfect" ... but not everday is "easy". Some days (or events) are sent to test us, how strong we are together and how much we love each other. DIY is definitely one of those events (or series of unfortunate events). I'm sure it's the same in relationships of all orientations. One being the DIY afficionado, the other being the DIY non-expert. As the non-expert, I've tried taking the helpful angle "is there anything I can do, saw, cut ... just tell me how to help and I'm there". I've also tried the supportive angle "can I get you a tea, coffee, make you something to eat ... my sweet". I've even tried looking busy, tidying up the rest of the house, keeping super quiet and staying well out of the firing line. I've also tried the not worried position "honey, it's fine ... we can go without hot water for the next week, or I'm sure we can use the neighbours toilet (ok, perhaps that's pushing it a little far ... but at least it made me laugh"). It's true, I was warned before things started that I shouldn't say anything, that it'd get "messy". That was before the pipe snapped and tempers got frayed and the the shops were closed and things got a little uncomfortable, and then we almost missed the gym because it all just took longer than expected. There was lots of drilling, sanding and swearing (which I think is as much a right of passage and staple of DIY as condoms are a staple of safe sex ie. indispensible). My love. This DIY is a very big part of our lives today, its all consuming and exhausting ... but dont worry as it will end (eventually). And I'm always here, to love and massage and sooo much more (and of course to make the tea).

No comments:

Post a Comment